Moqui Cave was once used by Anasazi people as a shelter. It was rediscovered by white settlers in the 19th century, and served as a speakeasy in the 1920s during Prohibition. Since 1951 it has belonged to the Chamberlain family, who operate the cave as a tourist attraction and museum. Of special interest is their knowledge of ancestor Thomas Chamberlain, a well known local church leader and polygamist. (located just south of Mt. Carmel)
The rapidly deteriorating remains of the movie set for Gunsmoke and many other western movies can still be see from the road in Johnson Canyon. The site is on private property and trespassing is not allowed.
Paria was constantly settled by Mormon ranchers and/or miners from 1865 to 1929. During this time, residents used the Paria riverbed as a constant roadway. Today access up the river is closed because the Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument doesn’t recognize this as a road. However, the site can be easily accessed from U.S. Highway 89. The dirt road is slippery and treacherous when wet. Western movies including great like the Rat Pack and Clint Eastwood were filmed there from 1943 to 1976. Today’s the original movie sets have been destroyed and little is left other than the town cemetery.
Cave Lakes Canyon hosts a wealth of caves and springs that have been used since pre-historic times. It was used by polygamist ranchers at the turn of the 20th Century and hosts Dellenbaugh Cave in which the name of the famous member of John Wesley Powell’s expeditions is carved. The canyon is now a private guest ranch, but the owners are hospitable if you call ahead. The guest accommodations are outstanding. (1-435-644-3812
A treasurer hunter named Freddie Crystal convinced Kanab townsfolk that Montezuma’s gold was buried in one of several caves east of Kanab. The effort was fruitless, but the caves remain as a testament to a Southern Utah’s heritage of treasure hunting.
These millstones, located just of U.S. Highway 89 in Glendale at the Glendale Orientation Center, were used to grind wheat and corn into flour. Glendale oral histories tell us that in 1870 these burrs, as they were called, were brought here from Toquerville, Utah, 100 miles away. The orientation center also offers several interpretive photos of Glendale’s history.
John Wesley Powell was the first European- American to descend the East Fork of the Virgin River from the current location of Mount Carmel Junction to Shunesburg. This plaque can be found just east of the Zion National Park boundary in the East Fork of the Virgin River. It commemorates his descent of Labyrinth Falls in 1872.
Maynard Dixon’s wife Edith Hamblin was a famous muralist. Her mural of the Orderville United Order was likely based on an earlier painting by Elbert Porter. Both works are on display at the Orderville LDS Stake Center.